Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thing #5 Microblogging

I had heard of all the wonderful things that could be done with face book so last summer I had started a face book account to use with my students but when I returned to school and spoke with our assistant principal he recommended that we not friend the students. His reason is that there is just too much drama going on to get involved. So now I use the face book for keeping in touch with my high school friends and people I’ve work with.
I have also joined some great groups like Edutopia. They have a recent article:
How to Use YouTube in the Classroom
www.youtube.com
Educational consultant and former Edutopia.org blogger Chris O'Neal demonstrates educational uses for YouTube.
So it is great for keeping up with new ways of teaching.
There also seems to be a lot of videos on how to do. These quick videos could be used as a hook for a lesson
I have also used it to put out information. I have posted the link to the YouTube video and with in 24 hour I have had a 10 viewer. I have also posted a link to raise money for a cause and was able to raise my goal of $150.
I also have a twitter account but have not figured out what to tweet about I know there are a lot of research on all the social network like
Is The West Coast Happier? Twitter Says Yes

2 comments:

  1. In a lunchtime discussion, our group, too recommended that teachers not befriend students on Facebook. I do have a twitter account, but I have never done anything that would encourage someone to follow me--way too dull!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many teachers maintain two Facebook accounts, one for their personal friends and family and one for their students. You can post interesting things you see or do, provide links you think your students may like to watch and be your own filter for content. I would never use an online account to get involved in anything other than positive encouragement for any student, but they feel special when a teacher is their "friend" and you can find ways to maintain a balance between the two in social media.

    ReplyDelete